2/21/16 UPDATE: Amazon just raised their minimum amount for FREE shipping. It was $35 until yesterday…now it’s $49! I don’t know about you, but that makes a huge difference for me. I could usually come up with something to make my purchase $35, but now I’d have to find another $14 to spend. And, the cost of Amazon Prime didn’t change (still $99). This makes me really wish I wouldn’t have let my membership expire! So, the next time you shop on Amazon (or now!), you may want to really consider signing up for an Amazon Prime membership. I know I am!
If you haven’t shopped Amazon for long (but love it!) or have been shopping Amazon for a while but haven’t taken the bullet and gotten your Amazon Prime Membership yet, keep reading!
Amazon Prime is an annual membership that gives you the following benefits:
- Unlimited, ad-free access to over a million songs in the Amazon Music store
- FREE Two-Day Shipping on millions of items – no more spending
$35$49 to get FREE shipping (Hint: You can share this with up to 4 people!)
- Instant streaming of thousands of movies and TV shows with Prime Instant Video
- Read FREE books each month through Kindle First and the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library (over 800,000)
- FREE Unlimited Photo Storage – Cloud Drive offers secure online storage, automatic photo backup, and lets you access your photos anywhere: on your phone, computer, tablet, or any Fire device.
- Prime Members get 30-minutes early access to Amazon Lightning Deals and new MyHabit.com deals.
My favorite of these is the FREE Two-Day Shipping. Say it’s just a few days before a birthday party and you forgot to pick up a gift. You don’t have time to run out to the store and search for a gift so you can just get on Amazon, order the gift and have it shipped to you or directly to the recipient. When my cousin had a new baby and lived 1,000 miles from me, it was nice to be able to send a gift directly to them from Amazon – no waiting for the gift to get to my house, no hassle with wrapping it up and finding a box to mail it in, no trip to the post office and no additional shipping charge!
I also really like the instant streaming! If you are looking to cut your cable bill, this is a great alternative. We cancelled our cable over five years ago and haven’t looked back. With Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video, you can pretty much see all the shows you are watching on TV.
So, how much does it cost?
You can actually sign up for a 30-day FREE trial to Amazon Prime before you commit to a membership. Go HERE to get started.
Then, once your 30-days is up, you will automatically be charged the one-year membership price of $99 for your Amazon Prime membership to continue. OR, you can cancel before your 30-days is up and not be charged at all. This give you a little more time to make sure it’s right for you.
ALL memberships include the benefits listed above, but Amazon also has special membership options for students and family.
- Students can get their first 6 months FREE and then pay just $49 per year. Students also have some additional benefits including special deals and promotions for students and the ability to earn a $10 credit for each referral. Go HERE to see all the details for an Amazon Student membership.
- Family members (formerly Amazon Mom) can get a 20% discount on diapers, save 15% on eligible items on an Amazon Baby Registry, and member-exclusive coupons on family-centric products. Go HERE to see all the details for an Amazon Mom membership.
I have been noticing a lot more deals available for Amazon Prime members only, too. These are usually at a really nice discount so if you like shopping online, this may be of benefit to you.
Find all the AMAZON deals on Become a Coupon Queen.